I would like to thank all the participants of “The Jungle Book'' for their long hours of commitment. I wish that our entire student body could have witnessed the amazing singing, dancing and acting by this talented group of about 30 students. However, over 120 chairs were filled with peers, families and friends last Saturday. The theatrical production company stressed how well engaged, behaved and positive our students were in comparison to other schools. I think this is worth noting and a good reminder as to why we send our children to a Catholic school where virtue and wisdom are a priority.
With just two weeks of school remaining, I must share that both Mrs. LaFrance (3rd) and Mrs. Bennett (preschool) will be leaving our faculty staff to embark on retirement. Combined, these two women have served children and families through education for almost four decades. Sharon has been an employee of Star for 20 years as well as an alumna– few people can say that. Likewise, Kim has served children, both at Star and in Kitsap County within early childhood education for over 16 years. We sincerely extend our gratitude for their service and pray for their next adventure in life. We will be blessed to still have them as part of our parish community.
CATHOLIC LIBERAL EDUCATION IN ACTION
This upcoming week, our teachers will attend an in-depth professional development on Theology of the Body (TOB). The TOB curriculum will be used in all grades as a supplemental resource to our current religion curriculum by Sophia Press. In an effort to help parents better understand the benefits of TOB, we invite you to join us Friday, June 3rd, at our First Friday Family Faith Formation.
WITNESS OF THE WEEK
Kelani C and Sean D were nominated by our office staff for demonstrating the virtue of courteousness when they took time to help a younger student who had dropped his belongings. They immediately assisted this student by collecting the items all over the stairs. We are grateful for students who are thoughtful of others throughout the day. Each school year, we follow the Virtues in Practice Program provided by St. Cecilia’s Congregation. As your students know, nine different virtues have been presented and emphasized throughout this school year. Please attempt to discuss and practice the past nine virtues during the summer months as much as possible: Hope, Studiousness, Humility, Patience, Fidelity, Cheerfulness, Temperance, Obedience, and Diligence.
The school’s new app can be accessed on your smartphone by following the below link.
Android phone access:
Apple phone access:
After weeks of consistent training, Star athletes shined at the 2022 Track and Field Meet held at Bremerton High School this past Thursday. We are thankful for the dedicated coaches, Ernie Quebral, Scott Comer, Michelle Judson, and Luke Cichy. Standings for all events have been shared with participating families. Congrats to all! Some of our students even set new school records worth noting:
100m - Boys: Aidan O Girls: Sophia P
800m - Boys: Asher S
1600m - Boys: Aidan O
Discus - Boys: George L
Discus 1.6kg - Boys: Zachary G
Shot put - Boys: Damien K Girls: Sophia P
Shot put 8lb. - Boys: Aidan O
Long Jump - Girls: Sophia P
● Bills for unpaid fees from the 2021/22 school year will be sent Monday - if not paid, outstanding fees will fold into 2022/23 tuition agreement within FACTS
● Please check your student’s backpack for the June calendar and other important flyers that were sent home on Friday. .
● Join us at our First Friday Family Formation, June 3, for a presentation by Lindsay Caron, founder and executive director of the Theology of the Body Parent School. Lindsay equips parents with the knowledge and confidence to collaborate with teachers on instruction of Theology of the Body-our newest support curriculum at Star. See the attached flyer for more information. Please bring something to share at the potluck.
● Beginning May 31st, all students will need to bring a sack lunch from home.
● There will be no bus service on June 9th or 10th
● New this Summer! Join your parish family for Parish Family Hour Wednesday nights beginning at 6pm (see the attached flyer)
● Tuesday, May 31- Yearbook order forms due to the office
● Thursday, June 2- Vianney Cenacle @ 7pm in the Church - prayer for vocations
● Friday, June 3- Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast. RSVP by going to
https://forms.gle/uMEDnRqDqwupP1f99 (see attached flyer)
● Friday, June 3- First Friday Family Formation Night (Potluck at 6pm)
● Saturday, June 4- Sports Banquet for all athletes and families (see attached flyer)
● Tuesday, June 7th- Field Day and Ideal Commercial Uniform Sale- NOON DISMISSAL
● June 9 & June 10- No Bus Service
● Wednesday, June 8th- 8th Grade Graduation beginning with Mass at 11am
● Friday, June 10th- Last Day of School and K-7th Moving Up Ceremony @ 11am- NO STAR CARE
● Sunday, June 19th- Corpus Christi Procession
● Friday, June 24- School Office Closed for the Summer
SCHOOL MISSION STATEMENT
Under the patronage of our Blessed Mother, the mission of Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic School is to support parents in their role as the primary educators of their children. Our classical training nourishes the students’ natural sense of wonder and guides them to know and love what is genuinely good, true, and beautiful. Faithful to the teachings of the Catholic Church, we form our students to be virtuous disciples of Jesus Christ and joyful witnesses to the Gospel.
School Principal, Mrs. Tina Powell